Cycles act in response to life and are therefore always of different lengths. This is very uncertain, if fertile and infertile days are determined by calculation and summation. No matter whether calendars, string of pearls or apps are used for this determination.
Possibilities to perceive fertility:
The temperature method
After waking up, first measure the temperature and enter or save the value in a chart. Pay attention to possible disturbances such as illness, difference in time of the day. The temperature rises around ovulation and the infertile time begins on the third day.
The slime method (Mucus, Billings)
Sperm can survive in the mucus from uterine cervix. If you feel moisture or see mucus at the entrance of the vagina, you must assume fertility until the mucus is gone for three days. Make a note. There are potential disruptions such as bleeding, arousal, illness.
You can figure it out by palpating the vagina with a clean finger. The cervix is softer, open, higher and in the fertile period.
The cervix opening and mucus can also be checked with the help of speculum, mirror and lamp.
Body signs are combined and evaluated by way of dual check. This allows more women to very reliably determine infertile days. (Pearl Index 0, 4)
- without side effects on health
- very safe, if the rules are applied correctly (similar to the pill).
- low cost
- good body awareness and knowledge of fertility
- shared responsibility
- This can be used to prevent or aim for pregnancy.
- Needs to be learnt (three to four cycles of learning and testing).
- If you do not wish to get pregnant, make sure that no preseminal fluid or semen is brought into the vagina during the fertile days. It usually comes to 10 to 18 days for cycles of 24 to 32 days.
- You are safe from getting pregnant with this method, only if you use condoms or diaphragms during the fertile period (Pearl Index 2 - 5).
- Does not protect one against sexually transmitted diseases
- In case of stress, illness, breastfeeding and menopause, ovulation can be less frequent and infertile periods are certainly less frequent.
You always have access to aids in the market for observation and evaluation.
One time approx. 40 € for literature, thermometer 4 €, digital thermometer 8 to 20 €, consultation fees
If you want to know more or have questions, please contact a doctor or a pro familia counselling centre.
Doctors, social workers, psychologists and pedagogues shall be at your disposal as contact persons.
Englische Übersetzung gefördert von:
English translation funded by: